Choose An MLM With Care
How To Choose The Best MLM Opportunity
Overcoming MLM Problems By Carefully Choosing An MLM (Network Marketing Opportunity)
You can overcome the problems many encounter with multi-level marketing by being proactive. Choose your opportunity with care and you can ELIMINATE the problems many network marketing reps encounter.
Many people use network marketing, also referred to as multi-level marketing or “MLM”, as their first venture in creating a home-based business.
The reasons are many, including:
1. There are HUNDREDS of network marketing companies to choose from in the U.S. alone!
2. You probably know someone – or several people – who are RIGHT NOW involved with network marketing! Estimates are that there are at least 60 million Americans who are members of one or more multi-level marketing opportunities.
3. Network marketing has the promise of unlimited income with no ceiling. At the same time, MLM includes income from the efforts of others – also known as residual income.
4. Network marketing – or operating as an independent distributor for the MLM company – means you are your own boss. This fulfills the goal of time freedom, that is, being able to work from home and work when you want to.
5. Finally, MLM has the HUGE advantage of allowing new people to “go into business” for less than the price of a flat screen TV!
With all these advantages, why do so FEW network marketing distributors reach their goal of financial independence?
Let me summarize the main issues discussed:
1. Most network marketing companies experience HIGH “attrition”. That is, MOST (as many as 75% or MORE) of the new independent distributors will quit within the first year. Some will quit to pursue another, more attractive offer. Others will quit and swear off MLM forever! But the “bottom line” is that people quit when they fail to make more than the “opportunity” is costing them each month!
2. Another reason people quit is the high cost of the monthly subscription, also known as “autoship”. (EVERY network marketing company REQUIRES its representatives to commit to a monthly “autoship” purchase of goods or services. This recurring expense funds the residual commissions.) Unfortunately, many mlm’s sell products that can not stand alone in the marketplace. Distributors make the monthly purchases ONLY because of the promise of residual commissions.
Without the promise of income, they would NEVER buy the same products at the same prices! If commissions fail to materialize, the distributors soon realize that they are losing money every month and that they can live without the product, after all.
Likewise, many MLM’s have commissions that are primarily based on recruiting bonuses instead of ongoing, retail product sales. These bonuses for recruiting new reps provide the promise of “big money” upfront. However, it is also a fact that most distributors will only sign up a few friends or family members – if any at all! Therefore, the lack of recruiting and the lack of a retail sales base results in low commissions, and the attrition of reps.
3. Most network marketing companies have “niche” products. While they advertise that their products are in demand “by everyone”, the reality is that the expensive products and services sold by MOST companies appeal PRIMARILY to people looking for a business opportunity. In most MLM’s, very few reps develop a network of “retail” customers.
This means that MLM reps are forced to market almost exclusively to people searching for a business opportunity, instead of potential product customers. New reps (with no track record of success and no credibility) are forced to try to recruit strangers. These strangers are also exposed to the hundreds of other business opportunities advertised – with more appearing on a weekly basis. They are also promised that their company-provided, replicated website and business cards are all they need to market their opportunity in this environment of massive noise and competition.
But the MAIN reason new network marketers struggle is that they are trying to “SELL” a business opportunity in the MLM industry – that neither they nor their prospects understand!
The BEST “system” is to determine – in advance – which of your leads have the desire to learn about the MLM business model AND follow the well-documented path to success
My suggestion: employ a generic educational site to inform and instruct your prospects. Then work ONLY with those prospects that show the desire to learn more and follow the system! Click HERE or on the image above to visit this site and learn what it means to “Own Your Life”!
Is There Anything Else You Can Do To Overcome The Characteristics Of MLM?
YES – And It Begins With Choosing Your Network Marketing Company With Care!
Let’s take the advice of experts – people who have achieved MASSIVE success in network marketing:
Richard recommends that you avoid the latest “shiny objects”. Fads die! You need to partner with a company with a track record of achievement. You want to invest your efforts promoting a company that has demonstrated stability, has met challenges (structural, growth pains, regulatory, etc.) and overcome them! The facts are that few network marketing companies actually survive two years – and the new reps are left out in the cold.
As Richard’s book suggests, you should enter network marketing with a four to five YEAR plan. Joining a new “pre-launch” is almost guaranteed to be frustrating and expensive. Your business only succeeds by getting others excited about the products and opportunity. New products may be exciting to you, but will require too much education on your part to make sales. (And this is a selling business – regardless of what anyone says.) It is much easier and profitable to choose a product that has a PROVEN demand!
Network marketing works best when the products have the broadest possible market. Success in network marketing is DEPENDENT on exposing your company’s products and services to as many people as possible.
Common sense, right? You need to be able to describe your product or service to ANYONE, and then ask, “Do you know anyone that would benefit from this product?”
The answer will be:
1. No – it sounds terrible, or…
2. Yes – I know Mr. X who NEEDS to see this – and I will introduce you, and/or…
3. Yes – I am interested in using this!
By telling your story and experiences with your product, you have an “open door” to talk to EVERYONE! There is NO pressure to sell anything – you are providing information and requesting feedback. Obviously, the BEST opportunities involve products and services with the widest possible target markets versus narrow niches.
Jordan Adler, successful marketer and author of the new book, “Beach Money”(http://www.beachmoney.com), adds more cautions when choosing an MLM. He recommends a product with the lowest possible cost. The monthly cost needs to be low enough to appeal to customers that have no interest in the business opportunity!
The best possible price point? A cost that is equal to or less than the current products your prospective customers are buying. Even better – a method for your customers to receive their products for FREE!